One Planet Development Planning Advice
What is One Planet Development?
The Welsh Government has an innovative planning policy in place to support eco-construction and low impact living. One Planet Development. In short the policy encourages low impact homes to be built if doing so will lead to productive low impact use of the land, and foster the Welsh economy, culture, and language. Gaining permission for these developments is not easy however- and this is where Ty Pren might help.
Wales’ One Planet Development is underpinned by TAN 6 (Technical Advice Note 6) as part of PPW (Planning Policy Wales). This TAN outlines planning policies as they pertain to the creation and support of sustainable communities, and land use. Wales has considerable rural land resources- and the policy is geared towards these rural communities.
TAN 6 is broken into various sections. Section 4 stipulates the factors and characteristics that define low impact developments, and the principles that must be adhered to when granting permission for a One Planet Development.
- Affordable housing- for different sizes of household.
- Buildings that are carbon neutral, or carbon negative, throughout their lifecycle.
- An ecological footprint of 2.4 global hectares per person or less , with a clearly outlined potential to move towards 1.88 global hectare;
- Carbon analysis
- Close-to-zero waste;
- 100% renewable energy;
- Working on the land must meet 65% of the participants income requirements;
- Rainwater harvesting, west systems, both for fresh water drinking and for other purposes, such as irrigation.
- Grey/Blackwater management with nutrient/composting recovery;
- Protect from extreme weather events
- Low or zero carbon transport plan;
- Increasing biodiversity by planting of more native indigenous species
- Assessing the impact on the local community and economy;
- Encouraging Welsh language and culture.
At Ty Pren we really help with points 1 and 2:
Affordable housing- for different sizes of household.
Buildings that are carbon neutral, or carbon negative, throughout their lifecycle.
We have worked alongside One Planet Developers throughout the process. Our designs will all be carbon neutral or carbon negative- and will use only sustainable local materials wherever plausible. We help meet the criteria for the low impact dwelling aspect demands of the planning policy.
Our design and consultancy fees are very modest indeed- typically less than £300 for a building design and drawings. And a very detailed initial consultation is free of charge and obligation. We’ll simply talk through everything with you for an hour or two on the phone or over Zoom. No matter where you are on One Planet Development journey we’d totally love to hear from you. Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org today to arrange a time for an exploratory conversation. It is great to connect with like-minded individuals and families, and learn more about your ideas for a One Planet Development.